[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #5 - Sushi Branch - New tesselator

Andrei Simionescu ansimionescu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:05:15 CEST 2012

This week my plans changed a bit because I got hold of new material: (i)
Howard Trickey kindly gave me access to the Wings3D code in C++ and Python
- thanks! and (ii) I found a nice library, Triangle [1], that does various
types of triangulation quite fast and nice [3].
So right now I'm still in the process of going through the code and I have
to figure out whether to write my own or use one of the implementations.
Check out [4] for code, soon.

Tasks for the this week (#5):
*0*)* expand notes
*1)* finish my notes about what wings_tesselation does
*1.1)* ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶
̶s̶c̶a̶n̶f̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶
*2)* make a prototype for tri/quad-angulation
*2.1*)* ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶c̶u̶r̶s̶i̶v̶e̶
̶o̶p̶t̶i̶m̶a̶l̶-̶n̶g̶o̶n̶-̶p̶a̶r̶t̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶(̶n̶g̶o̶n̶ ̶p̶o̶k̶e̶
̶t̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶-̶ ̶3̶r̶d̶ ̶m̶e̶t̶h̶o̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶o̶s̶a̶l̶
̶[̶2]̶)̶

Tasks for next week (#6)
*1)* implementing the tesselator (either Wings, Triangle, or custom)
*2*)* find an automatic way of testing (i.e. filling the scene with various
meshes, faces, vertices then applying the triangulator)

Reference
[1] Triangle http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.html
[2] http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ansimionescu/gsoc2012/specs
[3] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~quake/triangle.delaunay.html