[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:01:47 CET 2015

I think if we are not hampered by it to much allowing the Sandybrigde
hardware on intel to run would be a win.

"In practice, Sandy Bridge supports OpenGL 3.1 with all the OpenGL 3.2
extensions but ARB_texture_multisample
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_multisample.txt>"
"Sandy Bridge supports six OpenGL 3.3 extensions:
ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev.txt>,
ARB_timer_query <https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/timer_query.txt>,
ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_rgb10_a2ui.txt>,
ARB_shader_bit_encoding
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/shader_bit_encoding.txt>,
ARB_occlusion_query2
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/occlusion_query2.txt> and
ARB_explicit_attrib_location
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/explicit_attrib_location.txt>"

That would be 3.2 without requiring ARB_texture_multisample
<https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_multisample.txt> in
practice.  Given the relatively high marketshare of these this could be a
good enough way to go.

OpenGL and its extensions and who implements what is such a mess.
I would like to look at what extensions are common in OS X 10.9 with GL 3.x
hardware to be sure what parts of OpenGL 3.3 might be a good idea to
require.