[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Mike Erwin significant.bit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:40:18 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com>
wrote:

> For me, supporting 2.1 was more to ensure that we had broader hardware
> support for blender. My personal aspiration was to jump immediately to 3.3
> for blender2.8.

2.1 for the rest of the Blender 2.7x line, to keep this broad hardware
support. Then 3.2 core profile for Blender 2.8. Some users will need a new
GPU but not most. There's no point setting it to GL 3.0 or 3.1 because
MacOS never supported those. 3.3 might be a better target than 3.2 if we
find a compelling reason during development.

We could do the more radical forward looking changes in a branch, but on
> the other hand we've seen what tends to happen to big branches like that
> and we decided to better work directly in master. If others also agree too
> then I would agree to raise the bar to 3.1.

For the BIG jump to GL 3, how about do that in the main Blender 2.8 branch,
not a side branch. Where it will remain in use & continuously tested but
not interfere with the rest of the Blender 2.7x releases.

I agree with everything said so far about ES & WebGL -- if we want to be
compatible it should be with more capable versions like ES 3.0 and WebGL
2.0. Also let's not avoid features on full GL desktop/laptop just because
they wouldn't work on a tablet.

Mike Erwin
musician, naturalist, pixel pusher, hacker extraordinaire