[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:07:22 CET 2015

Hi,

For me, supporting 2.1 was more to ensure that we had broader hardware
support for blender. My personal aspiration was to jump immediately to 3.3
for blender2.8. The plan was to do this incrementally so the community
could adapt to the change. 3.1 sounds OKish, but again, we're leaving some
people behind. Whether we do it or not is more a political decision, the
technical benefits are quite clear.

We could do the more radical forward looking changes in a branch, but on
the other hand we've seen what tends to happen to big branches like that
and we decided to better work directly in master. If others also agree too
then I would agree to raise the bar to 3.1.