[Bf-viewport] OpenGL ES compatibility

Martijn Berger martijn.berger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 15:55:51 CET 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> Making a separate thread for this discussion..
>
> * OpenGL ES 2.0 I can kind of understand, but why OpenGL 2.1 compatibility?

Personally i think 2.1 could go and we should take sandy bridge opengl
3.1-ish as lowest common denominator for desktop but I do think we should
decide explicitly.

> * Why ANGLE? As far as I know this is for old cards that we already
> decided to stop supporting.

ANGLE brings us a reasonable fallback on windows systems. It is the default
backend for WebGL  for chrome  and firefox so it could bring us a more
stable then vendor drivers fallback if things look wrong.
Also it gives GLES 2.0 when no graphics drivers ( or remote sessions are
run )

> * Why not require OpenGL ES 3.0 as a minimum when someone decides to port
> Blender to Android / iOS? Support for this seems pretty good.

I could live with that as a binding minimum also, I would think 2.0 might
be to restrictive to be worth it. Newer devices support 3.0 or 3.1 and
better anway.

> * WebGL 2 will match ES 3.0. If no one is actively working on WebGL
> support now, why bother with the backwards compatibility?

I agree.

> I really think we should be able to assume support for FBOs, VAOs, float /
> half-float textures, instanced draw, and not have to deal with GLSL syntax
> differences between versions.

I think this is a good list of things that we really do want to have.