[Bf-vfx] IBL Toolkit - looking for feedback, and sharing blender+photo workflow ideas/needs

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 20:06:03 CEST 2012

Hi Brecht,

One small note, with Cycles each Texture node has also mapping
> settings built in (in the Texture Properties), so you can use only 1
> node instead of 3 if you wanted to. It may also be a good idea to
> enable "Sample as Lamp" in the World Settings.

Thanks will look into that ;)

 > Problem with the current workflow:
> > - cycles shaders do not work while in edit mode. Although I don't care
> about
> > the object materials, it would be really nice to have the background
> shaders
> > working. I'm trying to build an alternative with bgl and glsl shaders on
> top
> > of the 3dview, but it's too tacky. I need the background
> > (the other alternative is to do partial renders of the HDRI to use as
> > 'Background Image'. Not as elegant as having the actual panorama showed
> in
> > edit mode).
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here? The edit mode limitation I can think
> of, is that editing a mesh does not update in Rendered draw mode until
> you go back to object mode, but that seems unrelated to this.

There is no way to see the background and the edit mesh at the same time.
That way it's really hard to model what is in the background using the
image as reference.

I see three solutions based on changes in Blender code. Let me know your
thoughts :
(1) to have the editable mesh visible in rendered mode even if without
'cycles material'
(2) to have the background optionally visible in modes different than
'RENDERED'
(3) to support equirectangular (lat long) images in the 'view background
images' as a special mode
(only works with camera

[* a workaround I'm considering is to render the background for the camera
and use as Background image. It will work, just not as a nice workflow. The
second *]

 > Things I can do with ARLuxrender that I would like to do with cycles:

> This is something that I have been looking into for mango (Ton calls
> it the "happy shader"), but I haven't found the right implementation
> yet. I'll definitely have a close look at the paper/code here.

Luxrender alone is based on PBRT so I hope it's compatible with cycles
architecture. The latest integrator we are using may not be in the git. I
will talk with Aldo to see what he is using as reference.

--
Dalai