[Bf-translations-dev] Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese Translations.

Ivan Paulos Tomé greylica at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:59:07 CEST 2012

Hi Blender developers and maintainers of the I18N !

Here is Greylica - Ivan Paulos Tomé.

Recently, as some of you may have observing, I have accomplished the
Portuguese translations (100% of the 16011 strings),
two weeks ago for the Blender User Interface.

I took the responsibility and asked Sebastien Montagne to Unify both
the Brazilian-Portuguese and Portuguese translations together in a
single repository under the Blender trunk.

In the last two weeks, I was also asking for friends located at Portugal,
to look at the file and Blender Interface, and help me with the review
process,
find typos or errors in the translation, and help me to sanction names for
the User Interface, for Both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.

I did the same here in Brazil, and this action gave me the expertise I need
to dive deep into the language unification, started by some countries
in 2009.

But, when sharing the file, we found that Brazilian Portuguese users
defined ome tools with different names, it's not a question of renaming
a tool, I have done most of the translations using matching terms.

But, in Portuguese Language, as we may have with other languages as
well, sometimes we have two or more words that describe the exact
functionality of a tool, or option.

In the past two weeks, me and Paulo Martins, from Portugal, have been
working to unify Portuguese as one, but we found lot's of problems in
terms that are right for both sides of the Atlântic.

Some Examples below :
Rotate:
Brazil  = Rotacionar
Portugal, Macau, Angola Moçambique, etc = Girar
Cabo Verde = Uses both...

File:
Brazil = Arquivo
Portugal, Macau, Angola Moçambique, etc  = Ficheiro
Cabo Verde = Arquivo

Link:
Brazil = Ligar, Vincular (depending on the link)
Portugal, Macau, Angola Moçambique, Cabo Verde = Ligar

As I was diving into the problem, listening to friends from other
countries, trying to solve the problem, I have found that there is no way
to use a simple PT Language for the Interface.

But I also have been researching and talking with other communities as
well, because we have to think about Blender Wiki, the free online manual,
in wich I work and collaborate.

It was decided that we will translate the wiki into Portuguese using some
hints for non Brazilian Portuguese users.

---

This e-mail was made to ask developers/maintainers, to create again,
the division for PT and PT-BR, and as I have been discussing with other
friends,
the work I have done will be the starting base to have both Portuguese and
Brazilian Portuguese satisfied.

Also, you can put both Brazilian-Portuguese  and Portuguese at the
''near complete'' state in the User Preferences, because for me, to convert
Portuguese using our friends specific words (Non Brazilian Ones),
 will be simple , using ''mass edit'' to change to their names.

I will be the responsible for it and I will maintain both translations,
and I will also ask Paulo Martins from Portugal to join our team.
In the first logs I will insert his name as a reviewer.

Sorry for the long e-mail, thank you all at BF and BI, and
thanks fro the great support for our work !

Positive Vibrations
Ivan Paulos Tomé
Greylica - My Brain is Grey Like Yours !
www.blenderfarmbrasil.com.br