[Bf-gamedev] Blender on Steam

Jeremias Boos Jeremias.boos at gmx.de
Fri Jul 25 20:47:11 CEST 2014

Am 25.07.2014 18:06, schrieb brita:
> For my personal clarification, what exactly does 'Blender on Steam'
> involve?
>
> I did a small research at the start of my gsoc to see if I could help
> with this and what I understood was:
> - steam would act as a 'publishing' platform for blender, where you
> could actually just download blender. Is this correct? (this can be
> done already)
Yep that would be the main target, at first. I see Steam as a nice way
to bring Blender to more people and have an automated system for
updating Blender.
Also you have the possibility to make Beta branches. So maybe it would
also a good way to deliver nightlys and rcs to a broader audience.
Also does Steam support synchronisation to some degree. So it would be
possible to have your settings.blend synchronised on all Blenders that
are installed over Steam.
> - the steam workshop donations, are for *steam workshop* that is
> basically an interface for users to share, discover and install mods
> for their games. meaning:
>    - the goal is to support tool integration aiming for game modding
> (building assets for games is the most common, but also levels and and
> behaviour may be supported). There is already the FBX work here, for
> tool integration.
>    - the games implement a part of the steam workshop api, specifying
> what can be modded, what they accept, etc
>    - the tools (blender!) also implement a part of the API as a way of
> exporting. Somewhat like the sketchfab addon, but instead of uploading
> to their website, it get uploaded to steam via their api, saying what
> it is and how it can be used.
>    - steam workshop connects these too together making everything nice
> for the user

That would be the next step, if someone wants to do it. Maybe this is
something that is a valid target for GSOC.
> So what are we talking about here? Making an official account? Getting
> blender downloadable on steam? Implementing the API to export content
> from blender into steam workshop?
> Also, please correct me if I understood something wrong.

That is basically the plan. With only the exception that I am not
skilled enough with the Blender Python API or Code base to make the
Exporter/Importer stuff. So that would be the Task for an other volunteer.
> As to the first too options, they are more of a marketing decision, so
> I leave it to Ton. The implementation of the api, as interesting as it
> could be, is not really game engine related and therefore out of the
> scope of my gsoc, so I didn't look further.
>
> --
> Inês Almeida

best regards
Jeremias Boos