[Bf-gamedev] Capsule Gamedev Addon

Crocadillian crocadillian at me.com
Wed Jul 30 20:40:41 CEST 2014

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a gamedev orientated script called Capsule, which aims to provide an asset development workflow that’s non-destructive, and takes various object organisation and development technicalities out of the develpment process.  I should have it complete within a week, and I wanted to see if anyone would help me test it before I release it.

This will be a free addon released on the Blender Artists forum, but I'm looking for help as I want to both release it in a production-ready state, and understand how useful these tools are in their current state.

(Heres an image of the current version, couldn’t upload due to file size restrictions - http://i.imgur.com/NkLjnLF.png)

The plugin will when finished, will provide the following features:

OBJECT ORGANISATION
Break down assets into reusable base objects and components without needing to merge or join anything - the plugin keeps every piece of your final asset together and organised with constraints and automatic naming.

ASSET DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE
Keep track of the asset through all stages of production with specific tools at each step.  Object states can be saved during High-Poly development to recover later if need be, used as a draft for further High-Poly asset development (useful for draft sculpts) or used as a basis for a Low-Poly version.
Fix and create Low-Poly assets quickly, with one-button access to common modifiers like Shrinkwrap.  External plugins like Contours can also be used.
Quickly generate collision and cage objects for physics and map baking
Quickly fix the origin point to common positions on the asset with origin point tools, such as the base of an asset.  The origin can also be positioned to a vertex group or the centre of mass.

VISUALISATION TOOLS
Quickly change the way objects types are displayed on the screen across assets to aid development.
Create different types of plinths for your objects to be positioned on for showcases.  They resize and move to fit the asset being developed.

BATCH EXPORT
Batch bake Normal Maps throughout the scene and quickly preview them to check for any inaccuracies before export.
Quickly define export locations and settings for assets in the scene, as well as what objects are being exported within the scene.  The plugin enables one click exporting of every asset in the scene, without having to merge and prepare the objects yourself, enabling quick tweaking and iteration on asset design.
Target export for Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine or Unity (currently doesn't do much, but the features there :P)`

I have some other feature ideas down the line like multiple-map baking and direct integration with plugins like Array Sketch (for polygon hair and curved details), BoolTool and TextureAtlas, but ive been working on it for just over a month now, and don't have the time to implement these before release.  These addons will at least work with Capsule on release, without issue.

Currently the addon is about 70% complete, and the features left to add are development stage tools for LP/Cage/Collision, Batch Exporting and a few other miscellaneous features.

If anyone's interested, email me back or reply to this message and I'll email you the beta version when ready :)