[Bf-gamedev] Blender on Steam

brita britalmeida at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:06:31 CEST 2014

For my personal clarification, what exactly does 'Blender on Steam' involve?

I did a small research at the start of my gsoc to see if I could help with
this and what I understood was:
- steam would act as a 'publishing' platform for blender, where you could
actually just download blender. Is this correct? (this can be done already)
- the steam workshop donations, are for *steam workshop* that is basically
an interface for users to share, discover and install mods for their games.
meaning:
   - the goal is to support tool integration aiming for game modding
(building assets for games is the most common, but also levels and and
behaviour may be supported). There is already the FBX work here, for tool
integration.
   - the games implement a part of the steam workshop api, specifying what
can be modded, what they accept, etc
   - the tools (blender!) also implement a part of the API as a way of
exporting. Somewhat like the sketchfab addon, but instead of uploading to
their website, it get uploaded to steam via their api, saying what it is
and how it can be used.
   - steam workshop connects these too together making everything nice for
the user

So what are we talking about here? Making an official account? Getting
blender downloadable on steam? Implementing the API to export content from
blender into steam workshop?
Also, please correct me if I understood something wrong.

As to the first too options, they are more of a marketing decision, so I
leave it to Ton. The implementation of the api, as interesting as it could
be, is not really game engine related and therefore out of the scope of my
gsoc, so I didn't look further.

--
Inês Almeida