[Bf-docboard] Propsal: fundamentals, citation

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Sat Jan 23 18:37:38 CET 2016

Cheerio everybody,

The first scetch of the Fundamentals structure is ready. To give you a
preview what I'm planning:

1.1 Simulations use models of the light transport  (e.g. the classical
render equation)
1.2 Models of simulation objects (e.g. representations of space/ volume
on a computer)

Simple light transport model:
lamp(emission) -> surface(reflection) -> eye/ camera (retina/ sensor)
This model it's parts are revisited several times under varying points
of views and amount of detail.
2. Physics: dynamics: e.g. mechanics: springs
3. The digital production pipeline: to blend over to Blender (*wordplay).

»[...] Simulation is the process by which the output of a digital
computing system represents
an approximate description of the dynamical evolution of another system.«
primary: Piccinini, G. 2015, "Physical Computation: A Mechanistic
Account", Oxford: Oxford University Press.
secondary: Piccinini, Gualtiero, "Computation in Physical Systems", The
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Summer 2015 Edition),
Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL =
<http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/sum2015/entries/computation-physicalsystems/>.

@Anton
Lorenzen A. F. 2016 on "Re: Propsal: fundamentals, citation", Blender:
documentation mailing list

 >CC0-license, no copying of anything!
Oh,  it didn't thought about that.
I remember Ton talking about it on a BlenCon years ago:
The problem also arises with shipping by bundling up software and manual.
Even if we factor out copyright law, it's a issue of scientific 'clean'
writing.
e.g. Everytime "texture mapping" is mention in theory you have to cite
Ed Catmull who invented it.
Ownership of the text / ownership of the technique.
So I have to choose a save license in the alpha and beta phase, then we see.

Answers of the 3. Question:
 > Someone has to take care of it.
My humble self? and volunteers - *somebody? - *anybody?

 > It would involve a lot of writing.
1. it's a long-term project (1 year min)
2. it could be a sceleton:
summarys and
name droping (floating point arithmetics) [user has to search] and
explain why it matters in CG (loss of precision)
3. parts already exist in the offical manual, other Blender manuals
     e.g.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Books/An_introduction_to_BLENDER_3D_a_book_for_beginners
my study notes and finally involuntary co-authors (citation).

Tobias