[Bf-docboard] Language code for Traditional Chinese

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 05:36:17 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am reading the "Translation_Guide" to see how can I contribute to my
native language, Traditional Chinese or Chinese (Taiwan).

There is a paragraph about "Page Name" describing one should add language
code between namespace and page name. I want to find out if my language is
listed or not, and find there is a  List of ISO country/language codes
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes> link in "Reference"
part. I have read the ISO 639-1 list, but found only "zh" is listed.

However, "zh" or "Chinese" here is a macrolanguage which covers strongly
divergent dialects and closely related languages. For example, there are
two main variant of Chinese characters styles for Mandarin (official
dialect of Chinese), one is simplified Chinese used in China, and the other
is traditional Chinese used in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

In practice, we use "language_code-country_code/region_code" instead to
represent languages in free software localization workflow (eg. fsf
projects, GNOME, KDE, Ubuntu... and even blender itself). Simplified
Chinese uses "zh_CN" while traditional Chinese uses "zh_TW".

I am wondering if I can use "ZH-TW" as my language code or not in
blednerwiki translaiton? Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks! :)

--
Cheers,
by Cheng-Chia Tseng