[Bf-cycles] Would it be possible to implement CPU render for one layer and GPU for other?

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:51:34 CET 2015

It sounds like you have already split your scene into separate renderlayers.
Then if I'm not missing something, wouldn't it be possible to use two
instances of blender; One using CPU rendering to render the smoke layer,
and one using GPU rendering to render the other layer(s)?

You could even run them simultaneously, but it's not a requirement ;)

On 03/10/15 10:15, ertuqueque wrote:
> Hello.
>
> As the title says... I'm working on an animation that has smoke all
> over the place, and because of that, I'm limited to use CPU for the
> whole render sequence. This is taking ~2h each frame and is a sequence
> of 10 seconds... We're talking about ~20 days of render!...
>
> How crazy is the idea of setting CPU of some render layers and GPU for
> others?... I'm not saying to render them at the same time (although
> would be even better)... just to automatically render one layer in one
> device, then, the other one and fire up the compositing as one would
> usually do.
>
> Thanks.
> tuqueque.

-gandalf3