[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #05 - Normal Editing Tools

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 20:12:20 CEST 2017

First month in GSoC has ended, I'll post a video soon describing all the
functionality I've added so far. Along with discussing the plans for the
future.

What I did this week:

Was away for a few days so not a whole lot. After much, much deliberation,
I've added splitting merging clnors as suggested by Bastien.
I wanted to be able to merge each individual clnor independently but after
careful thought, it just isn't possible. What I've implemented so far is a
brushed up technique of smoothing faces/edges with added support on how to
maintain the merged/splitted resultant normals. With this method, merging
the loop normals of just a single vertex is just not possible.
I would have liked to provide more control but this idea requires too much
tough work. It may not even be much more practical.

What I plan to do next week:

I'll take time out to clean, revise and improve on the code written so far.
Add proper documentation and get the presentation going. My mentor provided
some useful inputs. After this I'll work on different averaging techniques.

Links:
My proposal: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:RohanRathi
/GSoC_2017/Proposal
Git branch: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/soc