[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #03 - Normal Editing Tools

Rohan Rathi rohanrathi08 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 20:33:27 CEST 2017

What I did this week:

Added ability to point and align normals to location. Other than that I've
worked on an op to have selected custom normals point to mouse location or
align them. Haven't been able to get it to work right yet.

Point Normal:
Press ALT-L to activate it.
Press L again to have normals point to selected pivot point (all supported
except individual origins).
RMB click on the mesh to have the normals point to the newly selected
active object (vert, edge, face) center.
LMB click to relocate 3D cursor and then have the normals point to it.
O Key to have normals point to object origin.

After execution, there are options available to point towards or away from
target. Along with it, the target location can also be changed from UI.
One thing I would like to add is to have some sort of a visual aid to show
the target location when the target location changes within the UI.

What I plan on doing next week:
I'll hopefully finish point/align normals with mouse. Then I'll work to
incorporate lnor invalidation with transform ops and then split/ merge
custom loop normals.

Links:
My proposal: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:RohanRathi
/GSoC_2017/Proposal
Git branch: https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/browse/
soc-2017-normal-tools/
Blender Artists Thread: https://blenderartists.org/forum/
showthread.php?427746-GSoC-2017-Normal-Editing-Tools

Thank You,
Rohan Rathi