[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #08 - Sculpting Brush

Raja Kedia rajakedia2222 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 05:03:34 CEST 2017

Hello All,

*What I have done this week:*

This week, I was mainly focusing on creating a stable working topograb
brush atleast in nomal mode and dyntopo mode. In normal mesh mode, the
brush was already working fine. Still there was a bug in which the brush
grabs wrong position in mesh while using symmetry operator. The reason was
due to projection of brush. Since, current brush depend on the projection
angle of the brush, it might be possible that while using the brush, vertex
might be located in some other mesh part which is not directly connected. I
find the way to solve it two days ago. I tried to change normal and it
started working fine for simple mesh or planar mesh but for large mesh or
curved mesh, it still needs more editing. I tried using
cache->sculpt_normal for projection normal but it was not working properly
in some cases.

Next, there was few crashing problem in dyntopo even for simpler mesh in
many cases( I find out that recently and that was mostly due to wrong array
declaration and usage in connected bmesh function). I changed variables a
bit and also modified connected mesh detection function and it is working
fine for now. There is still some issue in mirroring but it is now not that
critical.

Also, I tried to work on multires mode of operation in brush but as I was
unable to find vertex relation it was getting difficult. I tried to import
mvert details by changing few attributes in mesh updates functions in
paint.c but it was not working. Hackerman- and mont29 has provided me some
hints to find the vertex index or loop index. I will be working on that and
will be giving updates on that soon.

*What I will be doing next week:*

First of all, I will be coming up with a normal calculation function for a
stable central normal calculation for correct grab option in symmetry mode.
Before creating this normal calculation function, I will be experimenting
with cache->sculpt_normal only. If it gives a correct result that there
would not be a need to create this normal calculation function. Next, I
will be solving symmetric error in dyntopo once I get this normal
calculating function. When this both gets finished, topograb will be ready
to work in normal mesh mode and dyntopo mode for artist and this all will
take not more than 2-3 day since I have already done most of the work.
Next, I will continue with multires mode of operation and will try to
complete it as soon as possible.

Thank you.