[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 21 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Sat Jul 22 09:04:43 CEST 2017

I spent all of today reinstalling python and recompiling blender on
different machines.
Because of this, I'm going to delay my weekly report to tomorrow, if no
one minds. That way I have a chance to write some documentation and
generally make things testable before writing my report, and I can then
include some instructions in said report (which goes on the wiki).

Regarding my troubleshooting, I discovered a couple unexpected things:

* When not starting from factory settings, the requests module bundled
with the blend4web addon is used (even in the blender console!).
* The blender from the archlinux repositories always uses system requests.

Taken together, these might explain the apparently "magic"
disappearances and reappearances of the issue . Unfortunately, blender
is now crashing when importing requests. I suspect a bad python 3.5
install, so I am now compiling and reinstalling python 3.5.