[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 17 - Package Manager

Mitchell Stokes mogurijin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:55:56 CEST 2017

Hello Ellwood,

I also like the idea of checking for existence in the file system instead
of trying to track some other record. Blender currently offers two ways to
install addons that I know of:

  * Copy the files to a user 2.x/scripts/addons directory (e.g.,
~/.config/blender/2.x/scripts/addons in Linux)
  * Use the "Install Addon" button, which just copies the files for you

I see these repositories as another way to copy files to this addons
directory (in addition to getting automatic updates).

As for multiple root folders, I do not think this is really possible unless
the "addon" is actually a collection of addons. Each addon should be a
single module or package. However, maybe others know about some exceptions
to this.

--Mitchell