[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 17 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Tue Jul 18 11:41:44 CEST 2017

Today I started adding an uninstall function.

I started with the idea that a list of installed packages would be
stored in a local "repository" (just like a remote repository) at
install time. However, after following that idea for a bit, I felt it
might be better for the definition of "installed" to be based on the
presence (or absence) of the package on the filesystem. This kind of
comes down to whether or not the package manager should be THE only way
to install things, or if copying files into place manually should also work.

I think I like the latter approach more; it works by definition, rather
than by design. It's also how Atom works.

A tangential question:
Can a package contain multiple "root" files? (e.g. a zip with multiple
directories at the top level)
It would simplify things to disallow this, but perhaps some existing
addons do this already? If so, is it worth maintaining compatibility
with them?

Plan for tomorrow: Add file list to repo generation script, finish and
expose uninstall function, start on version grouping.