[Soc-2017-dev] Daily Report - Jul 18 & Jul 19 - Package Manager

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Thu Jul 20 11:59:35 CEST 2017

July 18th:

I tweaked the drawing code significantly (added better sorting), and
made some UI/UX tweaks (only show the install button when installation
is possible, allow `repo.json` to be omitted from repository url).
Also added filelist generation to the repo creation script.

July 19th:

Today I added an uninstall function (not yet exposed) added detection of
installed addons.
I didn't get to exposing the uninstall function today, as it turns out
that correctly handling multiple installed versions of the same addon at
one time (this can happen outside of the package manager's control) took
more work than expected.

Plans for tomorrow: Finish exposing the uninstall function. Once the
uninstall function is exposed, I'll be just about ready for some
preliminary user testing. I'll set up a public repository and write some
documentation to help facilitate this.

Besides that, some other things on the todo:

Restructure files. Everything is currently stuffed into two files (both
well over > 500 lines). I've held off on restructuring code files, to
make sure it's clear what a sensible structure is before spending time
on it. It's now been a little while, and I still like my original plan:
separate the code which does the actual package management and the code
which provides an interface to said package management. (also separate
the code common to both; container classes, utility functions, etc).

Spruce up metadata display, add settings display.

Add support level filter, add installed/available/updates filtering.

Question:
I noticed some addons have a strange "api" field in their bl_info,
containing a seemingly random number. I couldn't find any mention of it
in the wiki
<https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Py/Scripts/Guidelines/Addons/metainfo>.
Here's an example from contrib: the sun position addon
<https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitweb.cgi/blender-addons-contrib.git/blob_plain/3dd9b462a24910f416a6a3e7ddf008f5f67ff68a:/sun_position/__init__.py>.
Does anyone know what this is?