[Soc-2017-dev] Weekly Report #06 - Mantaflow Particles and Fluid Guiding

Sebastián Barschkis sebbas at sebbas.org
Fri Jul 7 22:21:58 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

my fluids report for this week is now online. Have a great weekend!

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sebbas/GSoC_2017/Reports/Week_6

= Week 6 =

This week I cleaned up the "Pointcache for liquids" and also started work
on float and tracer particle support.

=== What's been done ===

* I fixed the issues that I had with caching particles in the "Pointcache"
format. The "best case scenario" I described last week is now complete:
smoke and liquids run cache smoothly with the Pointache. All in all, I
think the move away from caching liquids with .uni files to caching with
Pointcache files should pay off. Caching feels much more "Blender-like"
now. I also think this will make the transition to the master branch easier.

* The FLIP particle option is back (I temporarily removed it when setting
up drop particles). So in the UI you can now choose between FLIP and/or
Drop particles. The corresponding particle systems will get
allocated/removed automatically.

* I am currently working on the remaining two secondary particle types
"Float" and "Tracer". On Blenderartists [1] we decided that it's best to
setup separate particle systems for each type. I am therefore now making my
particle code more modular (it's better to '''not''' just duplicate code
when setting up multiple particle systems).

=== Next up ===

* For the float particles I would like to have a first version next week
(maybe I can squeeze in initial tracer particle support too). So what I'll
do is work on the Mantaflow side again and refine my secondary particle
sampling functions.

* On the Blender side, I'll see that I have a very generic particle data
getter setup. Again, when reading mutiple particle types it's best to not
duplicate too much code.

=== Questions ===

* No

Best wishes,