[Soc-2017-dev] Package manager status

dr. Sybren A. Stüvel sybren at blender.studio
Tue Aug 15 10:15:06 CEST 2017

Thanks for the update.

On 15/08/17 09:57, Ellwood Zwovic wrote:

> I don't plan on doing all of these within the GSoC timeline, but
> certainly at least the "minor adjustments" and "smaller features"
> should be handled.
> I do plan on completing the rest after GSoC.

That's a good attitude :)

> Minor adjustments:
>
>   * Make install/uninstall operators add task to a queue, rather than
>     running multiple operations in parallel

This indeed shouldn't be too hard to do.

>   * Handle out of disk space scenario

I think this is far from a minor thing, it's vital for a reliable
installer to gracefully handle I/O errors (of any kind, not just running
out of space). This has always been part of the requirements for the
package manager.

>   * Replace addons section with packages section

This would be great. Before that it might be a good idea to put all your
code that's currently in its own repository into Blender's source tree?

> Known issues:
>
>   * Doesn't work on windows
>       o I have a branch which likely does work on windows (tested with
>         'spawn' on linux, need to test on real windows still):
>         https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BPMA/browse/windows-subprocess-fix/

This is a rather big thing. Call out on bf-committers for help, because
there are plenty of people there running Windows who can test for you.

--
Sybren A. Stüvel

https://cloud.blender.org/
https://blender.studio/