[Soc-2017-dev] Package manager status

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Tue Aug 15 21:45:27 CEST 2017

On 08/15/2017 01:15 AM, dr. Sybren A. Stüvel wrote:

> Thanks for the update.
>
> On 15/08/17 09:57, Ellwood Zwovic wrote:
>>
>> I don't plan on doing all of these within the GSoC timeline, but
>> certainly at least the "minor adjustments" and "smaller features"
>> should be handled.
>> I do plan on completing the rest after GSoC.
>>

> That's a good attitude :)
>
>> Minor adjustments:
>>
>>   * Make install/uninstall operators add task to a queue, rather than
>>     running multiple operations in parallel
>>

> This indeed shouldn't be too hard to do.
>
>>   * Handle out of disk space scenario
>>

> I think this is far from a minor thing, it's vital for a reliable
> installer to gracefully handle I/O errors (of any kind, not just
> running out of space). This has always been part of the requirements
> for the package manager.
Indeed, by "minor" I mean "easy to do". Of course, that's an assumption,
who knows what unexpected roadblocks could appear..

>>   * Replace addons section with packages section
>>

> This would be great. Before that it might be a good idea to put all
> your code that's currently in its own repository into Blender's source
> tree?
Agreed.

>> Known issues:
>>
>>   * Doesn't work on windows
>>       o I have a branch which likely does work on windows (tested
>>         with 'spawn' on linux, need to test on real windows still):
>>         https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BPMA/browse/windows-subprocess-fix/
>>

> This is a rather big thing. Call out on bf-committers for help,
> because there are plenty of people there running Windows who can test
> for you.
hehe, it only breaks for ~90% of users, that's not *that* bad, now is it? ;)
I have a remote windows machine I can access (and some windows users on
blender.stackexchange have already been helping)