[Soc-2017-dev] Package manager status

Ellwood Zwovic gandalf3 at blendermonkey.com
Tue Aug 15 09:57:38 CEST 2017

Here's my current TODO list:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Gandalf3/GSoC_2017/Todo
I don't plan on doing all of these within the GSoC timeline, but
certainly at least the "minor adjustments" and "smaller features" should
be handled.
I do plan on completing the rest after GSoC.

Remaining TODOs:

Minor adjustments:

  * Make install/uninstall operators add task to a queue, rather than
    running multiple operations in parallel
  * Handle out of disk space scenario
  * Clean up cached files
  * Optimize panel drawing
      o Only recalculate filters when filters change
      o Try profiling to find source of slowdowns
      o See if calling draw() on scroll can be disabled from blender side

Small features:

  * Filter based on repositories
  * Install from URL

Larger features:

  * Undo uninstall
  * Separate-page preferences display
  * Allow user to customize package/addon directory layout:
      o Recursively search for addons in ```scripts/addons```, make sure
        to install updates in same place as previous version.

Other:

  * Improve UI: https://developer.blender.org/T52403
  * Add more metadata (2.8 only)
      o Changelog
      o (?)
  * Replace addons section with packages section
  * Make package manager native (i.e. not an addon); having it as an
    addon means it can disable itself (and then can't be re-enabled)

Known issues:

  * Doesn't work on windows
      o I have a branch which likely does work on windows (tested with
        'spawn' on linux, need to test on real windows still):
        https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/BPMA/browse/windows-subprocess-fix/