[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #01, Cycles Images

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Sat May 28 01:50:31 CEST 2016

Hi,
my weekly report can be found in the wiki, please read it there for
better formating plus commit links.
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:DingTo/GSoC_2016/Weekly_Reports/Week1

= Week 1 =

== What I did this week ==

* Some code cleanup, basically to make it easier to add half float and
to deduplicate some code that was added recently.

* I started implementing half float textures (4 channel and 1 channel
variants), which will further reduce the memory usage during Render.
This will be used for e.g. Vertex Colors internally. For image textures
we will check for .exr and .hdr, half float variants. So just as with
byte and float single channel textures, the user needs to properly save
the texture in his application of choice. This will also reduce the
space needed on the harddrive, so it's a win win. We could auto detect
all this, but that's not optimal, adds some startup time to each render
and is generally something we should avoid.

== Next week ==
Finish half floats implementation.

== Questions ==
None.