[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #01, Python Package Manager

Peter D. Cassetta peter at fingertipsoft.com
Sat May 28 01:35:36 CEST 2016

Hi all,

This week I've been working towards my goal for May 23 - Jun 3 as stated
in my proposal: "Nail down the basics: solidify plans for finding
version, downloading, and UI, then begin coding."

I started off by documenting my preparation stage (pre-May 23):
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:PeterCassetta/GSoC_2016/Preparation_Results

I polished this page up, and created another where I'll be working on
answering a bunch of questions my mentor, Sybren, emailed to me:
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:PeterCassetta/GSoC_2016/Server-Client_Plans

The latter half of the week I've been investigating the viability of
having the add-ons stored on a server as .zip or .py files in a git or
svn repository, which seems ideal. Blender would have simple web access
to the repo via https. With this strategy, Blender would not need to
download the whole repo, but simply the add-on(s) the user selects. It
seems either git or svn should be possible without too much trouble.

During coding, I'm expecting not to host anything on blender.org.
However, since it's quite possible blender.org will be involved
eventually, I would like to get Ton's input before I decide on anything.

Finally, several people from the community have expressed interest in
helping with various things such as testing, mockups, etc., so I'll be
looking to get them established as stakeholders for my project soon.

That's it, hopefully I've done this correctly.

Best,
Peter Cassetta