[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #1, PBVH based VWPainting (Nathan Vollmer)

Nathan Vollmer bitinat2 at isu.edu
Sat May 28 02:24:21 CEST 2016

Hey everyone!

Sorry if this is a bit late. I thought I had till midnight before the
mailing list sent. >.<

What I did this week:

0. I've learned a lot about how to use git. I've touched on it a bit
before, but never on a project as big as blender. Learned how to make
branches, merge master into development, etc.
1. Met with a local user and got to know how he uses vwpainting in his
projects in mass communication and 3D animation projects. We'll be meeting
every now and then as I get more changes developed.
2. I read a lot of code related to general blender operators, sculpt mode
and vertex paint in particular. PBVH based vwpaint draws a lot of parallels
with sculpt mode, and I'm trying to take advantage of that. I've been
taking notes on things like stack traces by hand.
3. I was able to construct and free a PBVH in both vertex and weight paint.
4. I got the PBVH to display when entering debug number 14 by recycling
sculpt.c code. My original attempt was a little inefficient, so Bastien
helped me optimize it.
5. I'm initializing a stroke session struct similar to in sculpt.c which
should help me out later on in the project. That stroke session also
prevents the PBVH from being prematurely free'd.

Here's an example of a dog model in vertex paint being used to build a PBVH:
https://wiki.blender.org/uploads/b/b3/GSOC-N8V-VertexPainting-Example-Dog.png

Next week:
* I need to get more familiar with how vwpaint currently selects the loops
it uses to modify a mesh.
* I plan on using the PBVH to select these loops instead. I'll probably try
selecting all loops within a PBVH leaf first. I'll also be researching how
sculpt.c selects vertices, and see if I can recycle some code from there.