[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #04, Python Package Manager

Peter D. Cassetta peter at fingertipsoft.com
Sun Jun 19 05:50:12 CEST 2016

Hi all,

During the fourth week of GSoC, I've been working towards my goal for
Jun 6 - Jun 17 as stated in my proposal: "By the 17th, should have a
functional prototype allowing at least to check for updates and update
an add-on."

I did not get as far as I planned this week; the add-on can successfully
download and parse the index.json file, but does not yet allow to
download/update an add-on. I would estimate I am a couple days behind
schedule.

As the next two weeks' goal is a little more lenient, and very closely
related to this week's work, I'll aim to finish up a functional first
version by Tuesday/Wednesday, and move on to those goals afterward.

By chance, I discovered that gitweb is already running on blender.org
[1], something I hadn't realized previously. Gitweb would make it
trivial to access add-ons in my blender-package-manager-addon repo from
within Blender, as gitweb provides access to raw files natively. Since
it also fits with Ton's request that nothing new be installed on
blender.org, this seems to me the optimal way to proceed.

[1] https://git.blender.org/gitweb/

Before I go ahead with this plan, I'd just like confirmation on
something. I remember with addons_contrib, back when SVN was used,
binary files were strongly avoided. With this in mind, I would like to
get a go-ahead (from someone like Ton) before I commit any binary files
(zipped add-ons) to the repository.

Earlier today I committed the in-progress first version of my package
manager add-on [2], along with the index.json file and the functional
(but not yet pretty) .py script which generates it. Any feedback on
coding style, best practice, etc. is welcomed. :-)

[2]
https://developer.blender.org/rBPMA289f523397090183405d12a9003bd1019a507de6

As mentioned earlier, next week I'll be finishing up basic
functionality, then work towards my goal for Jun 20 - Jul 1: "Enable
rollback and the option to prevent deleting original add-on after
update, restoring the original add-on if an update fails".

Best regards,
Peter Cassetta