[Soc-2016-dev] Weekly Report #04, PBVH painting

Nathan Vollmer bitinat2 at isu.edu
Sun Jun 19 05:45:33 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

This week I was able to:
* Get full PBVH based vertex painting implemented. At this point, an artist
could choose either one and be able to get their work done.

* Add back in vpaint blur. I need to talk to my mentor a bit on how things
are working now with blur. The old vertex blurring would average every loop
in the mesh, regardless of if the loop was under the brush region or not.
The PBVH blur now averages only the vertices under the brush region. I
really like how the new brush works compared to the old brush, but I'm
concerned what I created is more like photoshop's "smudge" brush, rather
than a gausian blur type brush. I think what I'll do is add smudge as
another vertex painting option, and recreate the old blur tool by averaging
every vertex loop color, not just the ones under the brush.

*Optimize vertex to loop map creation.

Next week:
* Fix a bug with PBVH brush strength.
* Add smudge as an additional option (on mentor approval)
* I'd like to look a bit more into implementing a "nearest to ray" PBVH
raycast similar to the current BVH "nearest to ray" raycast. If I get this
working, we can paint a mesh without the cursor being directly over a poly.
* Midterm stuff.

Here's a gif of PBVH Blur. (Framerate is much faster outside screen
capture):
https://goo.gl/ei3MRW