[Soc-2014-dev] Weekly Report #5 Shape Key Enhancements

Grigory Revzin revzingg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 00:47:39 CEST 2014

Hello!

This week exam stuff seriously hindered my work and I didn't do much,
however:

1) Fixed up shape key compression, added code to handle endianess
rotations. Will test it later in qemu as per ideasman42's suggestion
(thanks!).

2) I have a Linux Mint on a virtual machine now, and have blender building
with GCC. This took lots of time since I've been a Windows guy for all my
nearly-20-years, and not all Linux distros are eager to work on a VM.
Nevertheless, with Blender building there, I can now periodically build my
branch and look at gcc-specific warnings and errors (seems VS is very
relaxed on them). I got rid of warnings that I introduced and Bastien
unbroke the gcc compilation (while I was downloading the third Linux distro
this week).

3) Submitted the 'manipulator fix' from my branch to code review [1] and
some iterations have already happened with feedback by Bastien, will
continue this next week

4) Everyone is invited to test my branch now, MiikaH provides a graphicall
build here [2], or build from source (gcc fixed). Again, major features at
the moment are:
-- Up to 2x faster editmode shape key recalculations on editmeshes
-- Transform manipulator draws at the right place now with deform modifiers
-- Shape keys are compressed on disk save and in Object mode undo (up to 3x
size reduction on test cases)
-- Some UI tweaks
There are many places for potential bugs, so any help in testing will be
greatly appreciated.

Next week:
Still the same targets,
1) Editmode undo
2) Test endian conversions with shape key compression using qemu
And
3) Add a Commit to Another Shape Key operator to give the scratch key some
actual purpose

Problems:
1) Still exam time, sorry!

Thanks,