[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #6 Paint Tools

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 00:30:40 CEST 2013

> This is exactly what my suggestion was. You said...

Ah, OK then it sounded more like tools to look at for the curved strokes
since this was what the question was about. Layers are still not part of
the work for this GSOC but it's good to keep them in mind because clearly
they are no.1 requested feature for paint tools.

> One such code/architecture approach is the one used by Apple-Motion, which
> is to reuse the 3d-editing tools for 2d canvas, layers, and editing. The
> code-and-architecture approach here would be to use a locked
> 2d-orthographic view of the 3d-view in a separate scene, for such advanced
> UV-paint operations that would require a layer system.

OK, I think we can do better here. We already have a stencil layer that can
be generalized to work as a selection canvas, omitting the need for
projection (the projection has already been done by defining the stencil UV
layer). In fact this is how I am thinking of doing it for my usability
improvements. Stencil layer is a bit obscure as naming and functionality
while a selection layer/canvas is more intuitive and could be allocated
automatically, even. We'll see.

Sometimes I so wish we had a wizard dialog when entering paint mode that
guided the user through some missing steps such as unwrap, define canvas
image, size etc. Something to keep in mind for sure. There are still people
who don't know how to set up the paint system correctly and there really is
no easy way to convey all the missing steps in an organized way.