[Soc-2013-dev] Weekly Report #5 Motion Tracking

Joseph Mansfield sftrabbit at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 01:21:04 CEST 2013

=This week=

I had previously only been submitting my code for code reviews without
committing the changes to my branch along the way, which meant it was hard
to track what I was doing. At the beginning of this week, I changed the
approach once I had finally committed my "perfected" focal length
constraint functionality. Once I had done this, it also gave me a good
opportunity to sync merge with trunk. WIth more frequent commits, I'll be
able to do this more often. Luckily, there were no conflicts at all.

>From Ton's replies to my weekly report last week, I learnt some nice things
about speeding up the build process (I had no idea the -j option for make
existed!).

Once the focal length constraint was committed, I spoke with Keir about
what to do next. We're going to treat multiview reconstruction as the main
task for this summer. My proposal may have been a little too ambitious
considering I hadn't worked on Blender at all before. I've started with
working on the libmv side of multiview reconstruction by committing a
change to the C API to allow tracks across multiple views to be passed to
the solver. This currently doesn't do anything, but the interface is ready
(and I've submitted it for code review).

I've done some studying and writing notes about how libmv works in more
detail. I previously only had to concern myself with a couple of source
files, but now I'll need to understand it in a bit more depth.

I have a patch with non-functional changes ready for submitting to trunk.
It basically just corrects spelling mistakes and code style in the libmv C
API. I've also submitted this for code review.

=Next week=

I'll keep going with this libmv side of the multiview reconstruction,
aiming to have it done for the midterm evaluation. This will leave the UI
side (which is a pretty big job itself) for the second half of the summer.

I'll hopefully also be able to commit the non-functional patch to trunk.