[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #3 - Smoke Simulator Improvements

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Jun 9 02:03:55 CEST 2012

> 1) What you did this week
I coded basic implementation of moving domain support. When enabled,
simulation data is shifted matching domain object movements so that
fluid remains still while actual domain area is moving.

It worked better than I expected so I decided to go one step further and
implement dynamic scaling too. That way domain size and resolution
adjust to only cover areas where smoke is, making larger simulations
faster and require less memory/space. Additional domain area is
added/removed if smoke moves too close/far from edges.

Now I have added initial functions to resize and shift domain data
on-the-fly and I'm currently rewriting smoke emission code so that it's
possible to "emit" smoke outside the active domain area - allowing
domain to expand there. After that it's still missing rendering support,
which will require investigation.

> 2) What you plan to do next week
I'm going to finish this week's work. When I'll get the initial
implementation done it will still require lots of testing, debugging and
tweaking.