[Soc-2012-dev] Weekly progress report #2 - Smoke Simulator Improvements

Miika Hämäläinen miika.hamalainen at kolumbus.fi
Sat Jun 2 21:12:27 CEST 2012

> 1) What you did this week

* Finished and committed last week's fire simulation work.
* Refactor and cleanup of smoke emission code.
* Added ability to emit smoke directly from mesh surface and volume -
without particles.
* Surface emission rate can be controlled using vertex groups:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Get-L0m0w
* Additional initial velocity options to allow velocity customization
also for mesh emission.

I also used lots of time trying to track down some bugs in smoke solver
code (when using open borders whole domain velocity often starts to
accelerate and it seems to be impossible to have a sphere with
normal-directional initial velocity). So far no luck figuring a good
solution to either of those. Hopefully new pressure code that Daniel
Genrich is working on will help.

> 2) What you plan to do next week

Next week I'll start working on exposing smoke simulation forces or velocity to other Blender tools. Probably I'll also start investigating ways to implement moving domain support.