[Soc-2012-dev] Hive system integration weekly report, week 9

Spencer Alves impiaaa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 09:51:32 CEST 2012

Hi, sorry for the late report.

What I did this week
This week was a bit busy for me personally, but at least I got some working demos done. They aren’t the exact ones Benoit (my mentor) and Sjoerd (the Hive system author) wanted, but they demonstrate some parts of the Hive system well.
My first demo is a piano keyboard: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pflz9d1hatmpl8l/keyboard%20test.blend (the sound’s from here: http://www.freesound.org/people/Horn/sounds/9743/)
It demonstrates factory generation through filters, and filtering playing handles (though that’s not working yet). It also demonstrate’s Hive’s and Python’s ability to use normal programming constructs (like a for loop) in the generation of a hive.
My second example shows how to spawn entities: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxvzrlesiko7d7h/spawn%20test.blend
The source code is mostly copied from the pandaspawn tutorial from the Hive manual. Hive is abstracted such that a script will work in any engine.

What I will do next week
My plan is to fix up the examples, then finish the specific use cases. After that I’m to work on physics.

Problems I had this week
At one point I ran into a compile error that I couldn’t fix. I figured out it was due to a commit that merged with trunk, though, so I reverted it and it’s working fine now.

-Spencer