[Soc-2012-dev] Multitouch Weekly Report

Nick Rishel nrishel at iupui.edu
Sat Jul 21 09:39:48 CEST 2012

This week:

   - I've been working on the C api
      - Inexperience with wrappers is leading too a lot of wasted work and
      retooling
      - Poor use of tools provided by the IDE is leading to wasted time in
      repeatedly recompiling after minor tweaks
      - I'm having to rewrite base blocks of my library to accommodate my
      initial misunderstanding

Next week:

   - I'll be reporting on my work on the C api come next Tuesday
   - Wednesday I would like to research state machine libraries

From:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:PrototypeNM1/Weekly_Report#Week_9
Week 9 Friday

The C API is taking longer that I had initially anticipated to complete,
simply due to my inexperience with writing wrappers. I had hoped to be done
with this by tonight, but I keep learning that the code will not function
as I anticipated and ending up having to rewrite base blocks. Simple
tracking and trying to understand why errors are being created ended up
being the majority of my week.

Common errors I have run into are incorrectly choosing to include files in
headers where more appropriate in the source code (i.e. attempting to
include object oriented code in headers which will be used with C code).
Another issue I've run into recently is an over reliance on structs instead
of objects within the C++ code, which I realized has been a cause for
issues with TOUCH_Types.

I should also be making better utilization of the IDE I am using, as I
realized I was loosing time on work by not using simple refactor tools when
instead opting to manually change functions. This is definitely leading to
unnecessarily wasted time in recompiling and minor tweaks in between.
Next Week

I want to have the API finished and functioning before mid week. This will
have to involve considerable more retooling of the current touch library
types and objects. I will report on this specific issue next Tuesday.

Wednesday I would like to spend researching existing state machine
libraries to determine if any one might be better than programming my own
to compare touch "gestures". I believe that Boost may be an appropriate
place to start looking.