[Soc-2008-dev] Week 7 report

André Pinto andresusanopinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 22:41:26 CEST 2008

Week 7 Report
=============

This Week
---------
Added ray casting ability to BVH tree.
Also coded ray casting to allow sphere casting
(which become 100% working after fixing SweepingSphereIntersectsTriangleUV)

Unfortunatly this doenst solves the intersecting faces problem very
well.. because its not that uncommon to have faces that are parallel
with the projection direction.

Statistics on raytree versus bvhtree (projecting 24k vertexs on a 500k
vertexs model)

Shrinkwrap (OBCube)24578 over (OBSuzanne)504482

target = raytree_create_from_mesh(calc->target): 1260.000000ms
shrinkwrap_calc_normal_projection_raytree(&calc): 1850.000000ms

tree = bvhtree_from_mesh_tri(calc->target): 3330.000000ms
shrinkwrap_calc_normal_projection(&calc): 3780.000000ms

On general query time is bit smaller on bvh tree..
but the build time of bvh is pretty big.

Next Week
---------
Try to improve bvh build time. I have some ideas for it.. but I dont
know if they will prove very usefull.. since they have the same
complexity.. but probably a smaller constant factor.

Also I need to try a diferent aproach to see if the intersection
problem disappears.. but I dont know which one yet :S

Issues
---------
I think the SweepingSphereIntersectsTriangleUV fix could be committed to trunk.

Schedule
--------
The little problems are seeming to take more time than expected :s
So I guess there wont be any free time on the end