[Soc-2008-dev] Week 11 report

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 18:26:05 CEST 2008

Week 11
=======

This week
---------
Finished "faster tree creation". This required committing a couple of
new methods to the kd-tree code, and also optimizing tree search a
bit. I have not run any tests to check that other usages of kd-trees
are not broken, someone should please help me in this (in particular I
would appreciate pointers to regression test blend files).

I now started a basic implementation of instant radiosity, but no code
committed yet.

Next week
---------
My primary target is to finish the proof-of-concept implementation of
instant radiosity.
UI improvements and more debugging (especially on the banding problem
and the broken Oren-Nayar shader) are also scheduled.

Issues
------
Here's a brief list of all the major issues remaining:
- banding problem/flickering animations: a tester was kind enough to
provide an interesting test blend on this issue, I have to look better
into it
- converting "classic" area light intensity to lightcuts: this looks
harder than expected, maybe "impossible"? More on this soon
- Oren-Nayar shader is not working
- sometimes sky colours are not correctly fetched during the first rendering

Schedule
--------
Autoquote from last week: "pretty good, but still a lot of details to fix!"