[Soc-2007-dev] Friday status report

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 18:16:32 CEST 2007

Hi.  This week I worked on the tiling cache interface for DSM (I was
still visiting my parents and my laptop didn't have enough RAM to test
things very well due to the state of the code at the time).   DSM tiles
can now be cached; unfortunately, for efficiency they have to be really
small.  I wrote some code so the DSM map is rendered in >= 256 pixel
size tiles, then cut down to a smaller size, but however it doesn't work
so its disabled at the moment.

 I've also fixed the evil bug where everything has to be transparent and
you can only render in one render tile; however I haven't committed it
yet because now theres a random crasher somewhere in the code :/  I
think the problem is the way the different Render instances are juggled
around in the code, I can't seem to find the code that actually does that.

Brecht also pointed me to this really cool soft shadow paper for
deep-style shadow maps that I've decided to implement.  It basically
works by doing stocashtic ray tracing through the shadow map, which
isn't actually all that difficult (after all, it *is* a 2d-projected
shadow buffer).

Joe