[Soc-2007-dev] Friday status report

Miguel Torres Lima torreslima at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:10:38 CEST 2007

Hi everybody,

As I wrote in last week's report this week the time I had to dedicate to the
soc project was scarce.
Monday I implemented the two light source types that were still missing,
spot and area lights. Both implementations still have flaws, regarding the
spot light the transition between illuminated and non-illuminated pixels
isn't smooth and when the square mode is active an event is needed to update
the matrix sent to the shader. Regarding the area light, when the x or y
size becomes very small, the result produces artifacts, and although I
believe it is a precision problem I will have a closer look next week.
As you all might already know, the branch doesn't work on ATI cards. First,
as Brecht brought to my attention ATI's implementation doesn't recognize the
int type nor the ## preprocessor concatenation symbol. I corrected it and
tested it on a X1900 and the shaders compiled and it works for a light and
sometimes even two, but then, when changing a light parameter or creating a
new light, blender crashes, both in windows and linux. In linux I was able
to see that the crash occured within the driver.
Today I read the render's colorband code and planned the colorband creation
which will consist in the creation of a 1D texture using the assigned
interpolation function and then just look for the  texel on shader. Still
haven't decided but probably will have a texture just used for colorbands
keeping an offset to track each colorbands position. This way the shader
code will only have to be rewritten if the input type or blending method
changes. When any other change occur, it will only be necessary to create a
texture.

Next week I plan to have the colorbands implemented and start to do
texturing.

I apologise for missing last sunday meeting and for not dedicating the time
needed to the project the last two weeks. Finally the intership's
bureaucracy is over and now I can work on soc full-time.

Cheers,
Miguel Torres Lima