[Soc-2007-dev] Friday status report

Levi Schooley levischooley at eaglecom.net
Fri Jul 6 18:09:47 CEST 2007

What I accomplished this week:
1. I created the editmesh-to-bmesh-and-back-again functions.
2. I was able to discuss a few things regarding the Transform()
system with theeth, and have a better idea for how to proceed with
editmode tool interaction.
3. I added support for selection-based beveling. Some screen-shots
follow.

Selection-based beveling before geomery clean-up (old screens):
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen3.png
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen4.png

Edge-based bevel limited by selection:
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen5.png

Vert-based bevel limited by selection:
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen6.png

Face-based bevel limited by selection:
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen7.png

Bevel on open mesh:
http://hhofministries.org/images/bevel_screen8.png

Some key highlights...
 - The bevel amount is currently hardcoded (there is no
interactivity or option to change it).
 - The topology for selection-based beveling is created properly now.
 - The tool seems to now handle open meshes correctly (as far as
my tests went).
 - The tool still does not produce accurate offsets.
 - Non-manifold geometry is not supported, and will likely crash
Blender.

In short, I coded the editmesh/bmesh conversion fuctions, and went
off on a tangent. :)

What I am planning on doing next week:
1. Incorporate the transfer of custom data and mesh flags into the
derivedmesh conversion functions and ensure that the bevel code is
capable of transferring this information.
2. Update the wiki with current progress and design.
3. Continue discussing editmode tool design on the mailing list.
4. Design the mechanism for separating geometrical transformations
from topological operations.
5. (maybe) Clean up my code a little so that others can look at it
without getting a headache.

Problems:
I am not able to attend the Sunday meetings. However, I would like
it if my project were brought up for discussion. I will be
preparing a status report and some possible topics for discussion.
Those will be sent to this mailing list when I have them ready
(before Sunday).

Levi