[Soc-2007-dev] Sunday meeting absence: topics for discussion

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Jul 2 01:29:36 CEST 2007

On 7/1/07, Levi Schooley <levischooley at eaglecom.net> wrote:

> 3. Editmode bevel and offset tools - how do I procede with these
> with the event refactor looming on the horizen? Does it need to be
> a factor in my decision-making process? If so, to what extent?

- snip -

1. "Permission" to create my own Transform()-like event loop for
> use with the editmode bevel tool. I may possibly need to do
> something similar for the offset tool as well. To help justify
> this action, I will point out that the edge-split/slide tool is
> currently implemented using its own event loop.

Personally if you're thinking of the event refactor, I would avoid adding
any new tight sub-loops. One of the targets of the events work is to remove
these sorts of things from Blender, and have everything working via a
central event loop.

All these small loops scattered throughout Blender have got to go - they are
duplicating effort and creating room for bugs since coders have to handle
all input, redraws etc themselves, and they present several significant
limitations - they are not very usable since they block all other input,
which means that all interaction must take place with single undocumented
key presses rather than being able to use all the different buttons and GUI
controls that should be available at our disposal.

cheers

Matt