[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 22:41:19 CEST 2006

a) What I've done this week:
- Added new method for setting brush size interactively (easier than
using slider.)
- Added new "airbrush" modifier to all brush except grab; airbrush
continues to apply the brush even if the mouse isn't moving.
- Added a tool called 'retopo' for remaking the topology of a model,
which is especially useful for dense sculpted meshes. Retopo works by
sampling depth from the OpenGL depth buffer and applying that to
vertices in a mesh as they are moved. It's available for both meshes
and curves (non-bezier.) Examples:
http://2006.planet-soc.com/node/382,
http://www.umsl.edu/~gcbq44/retopo.jpg
- Added mouse averaging to sculptmode. It does a linear interpolation
of the mouse each time it moves and adds extra sculpt dots to make it
smoother
- Added partial mesh visibility tool. It hides portions of the model
by reordering data, which makes sculpting much faster if a significant
portion of the model is hidden.
- Added a new rotation control for sculptmode which allows the model
to be rotated around whatever area was last sculpted. For example,
when using a full-body mesh, sculpting on the hand, it's useful to
have it rotate around the hand, not the center of the model.
- Added GHOST X11 support for tablets. Only pressure data is used.
(Matt Ebb sent me a patch for adding Mac OS tablet support, so that
should be in soon.)

b) Next week:
- As I'm getting a lot of feedback/bug reports, I'm going to add a
proper todo list for this project in the wiki.
- My first project for this week will involve testing a proposal
someone sent me for improving mesh sculpting speed. On paper, at
least, the idea sounds quite good.
- I also haven't gotten to all of the things I listed in my report
from last week, so that's on the todo list as well.

-Nicholas