[Soc-2006-dev] SoC weekly reporting

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 20:33:31 CEST 2006

a) What I've done this week:
Added several new options to the multires panel:
- Edge slider, which controls what level edges are taken from when
drawing (makes it easier to see mesh topology at higher resolutions.
- Pin/Render sliders. When rendering with a modifier applied to the
mesh (like an armature for animation) the mesh will be set to the Pin
level, where the modifier is applied, then rendered at the level set
by the Render slider.

Added support for some new data to be propagated by the multires
functions: UV coordinates and Smooth/Solid settings for faces. (UV
coordinates are still use linear interpolation, so they need more
work.)

Did some interface work. I decided to merge the two sculptmode panels
in the buttons window into one panel, since there's pretty much no
circumstance under which you don't need both. I also added the
sculptmode palette to the Transform Properties floating palette, and
added a new floating palette for multires. The advantage is that all
sculpting can now be done in one fullscreen window.

Lastly, I added two new brush types: an inflate brush and a grab
brush. The inflate brush is similar to the draw brush, except that
instead of taking the average normal of the vertices being modified,
it pushes each vertex along its own normal. The grab brush is very
similar to proportional editing in editmode, except that it supports
all the usual brush things like brush shape.

b) Next week:
I've got some new interface code that I hope to commit soon, it will
allow the brush size to be set interactively, instead of using the
slider in the sculptmode palette.

After that I'll be concentrating on the user feedback I've been
getting about the new tools, for example:
- Memory usage by multires, especially when a low-res level is selected
- For the sculpting tools, check on the status of displacement/normal
map generators, especially to see how well they are (or can be)
integrated with Blender.
- Shortcuts. Blender has shortcuts for everything, so users expect it
for sculptmode and multires as well.

-Nicholas