[Soc-2005-dev] Curves and Surfaces / Nurbana

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jul 27 13:41:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

> B-spline bevel should be straightforward, since it's a subcase of
> existing NURBS code
> I've already done a curve and circle primitive.
>
> Cardinal bevel I will look into, I might need someone to explain how
> the bevel code works.

The BevList is just a 'rendered' list of all points in a curve. It has
additional information about angles etc. The code is pretty stupid,
sometimes hard to follow... but if you check the cases for
bezier/nurbs, copying it for Cardinal would do the work. :)

> Cardinal spline can only draw a circle at specific 'tensions' so i
> might wait until I have a new UI before I add that.

Well, add a octagon or so... doesnt have to be a perfect circle.

>> - Nurbana
>>
>> It would help to know what exactly is going to be used from Nurbana...
>> what gems are hidden there?
>>
>> Is it only related to tools, or also includes advanced new display
>> options, like trimming curves or so?
>
> There is TrimCurve code in Nurbana, but Justin said that it's
> currently incomplete (he said 40% finished). It's unlikely that I will
> have time to attack this during the SoC timeframe, but one of the main
> advantages of libNurbana will be a self-contained and easy to modify
> module for all the NURBS stuff, so it will be possible for that code
> to be finished at some point (especially if we can tempt Justin back
> :).

Right, I remember... but then still, what's the benefit of nurbana?
What features are our artists going to get! :)

>> Are we going to see Bspline and Cardinal surface editing too? I think
>> that's something much wanted, and much simpler to use.
>
> B-spline surfaces wouldn't be a problem, they are also a subcase of
> NURBS surfaces, it would just be a matter of presenting them
> differently to the user.

Most obvious difference is again primitives. A Bspline sphere has very
different control points. Adding these primitives will give users the
hint what the curve type actually means.

> Cardinal surfaces are also of course possible, how does mid-september
> sound for a delivery date (i.e. after SoC) ?

I expected the Nurbana lib to handle all of this... isn't Cardinal just
a sub-case of Nurbs?

> I realise that it's kind of boring, but I am going to stick to the
> original Google proposal as much as I can for the next 5 weeks (just
> in case they are fussy), but after that I intend to stick around and
> continue working on this stuff (if i'm allowed!).

Where is the text of the original proposal? :)
But of course I understand time limitations. Trimming surfaces is
really out of the scope of this project. But for the rest I would
really appreciate to see the list of features you target for to
achieve!

-Ton-