[Soc-2005-dev] Curves and Surfaces / Nurbana

Emmanuel Stone emmanuel.stone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:52:49 CEST 2005

On 7/26/05, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> - Bspline / Cardinal curves
>
> I hope you'll update bevel code for it as well, including adding the
> proper primitives for it (like a circle). On UI level (buttons,
> drawing) we can help you.

B-spline bevel should be straightforward, since it's a subcase of
existing NURBS code
I've already done a curve and circle primitive.

Cardinal bevel I will look into, I might need someone to explain how
the bevel code works.
Cardinal spline can only draw a circle at specific 'tensions' so i
might wait until I have a new UI before I add that.

> - Nurbana
>
> It would help to know what exactly is going to be used from Nurbana...
> what gems are hidden there?
>
> Is it only related to tools, or also includes advanced new display
> options, like trimming curves or so?

There is TrimCurve code in Nurbana, but Justin said that it's
currently incomplete (he said 40% finished). It's unlikely that I will
have time to attack this during the SoC timeframe, but one of the main
advantages of libNurbana will be a self-contained and easy to modify
module for all the NURBS stuff, so it will be possible for that code
to be finished at some point (especially if we can tempt Justin back
:).

> Are we going to see Bspline and Cardinal surface editing too? I think
> that's something much wanted, and much simpler to use.

B-spline surfaces wouldn't be a problem, they are also a subcase of
NURBS surfaces, it would just be a matter of presenting them
differently to the user.

Cardinal surfaces are also of course possible, how does mid-september
sound for a delivery date (i.e. after SoC) ?

I realise that it's kind of boring, but I am going to stick to the
original Google proposal as much as I can for the next 5 weeks (just
in case they are fussy), but after that I intend to stick around and
continue working on this stuff (if i'm allowed!).

that's all from me,

-eman