[Soc-2005-dev] Pablo, et al: Merging and keywords

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Jul 26 15:46:53 CEST 2005

I saw Pablo in my irc backlog mention the problems
he was having with the ID tags when trying to merge
his branch, e.g. conflicts related to parts of the
code that look like this:

  * $Id: editseq.c,v 1.1.1.1 2005/06/28 19:38:08 hos Exp $

This kind of tag uses something called 'keyword
substitution', roughly, it is a string that
is sustituted after every commit with a new
value that mentions the latest revision number
and the last committers username.

One thing I neglected to mention (and thanks
to Nils for reminding me recently, and thanks
to Jonathan who originally pointed this out
to me about a year ago for the tuhopuu tree),
is that the merge can be helped with the -kk
flag which suppresses keyword substitution, e.g.:

cvs update -kk -jHEAD:2005-07-23 -jHEAD

With the -kk added, there should no longer
be any conflicts on these id tags.

Regards,
Chris