[Soc-2005-dev] Evaluation of SOC projects for the main tree.

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 23 05:23:58 CEST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering whether Chris or Ton (or others :-) could perhaps
comment on the expected  eventual process of including successful SOC
projects into the main Blender tree?  It is a pre-emptive question, of
course, but several projects appear to be in positions where the
participants may need to look forward to such issues.

It would seem likely that, by the official deadline, even the more
successful of the projects will still reside in their own CVS branches
in the SOC tree.  Is the plan to keep these projects in SOC, and
maintain SOC in the long term in a similar fashion to Tuhopuu?  Will the
more successful projects be merged into Tuhopuu first before later going
into bf-blender?  etc...  :-)  If no decisions have been made about the
process, is now the right time to speculate, or should we wait until
after the official completion date?

Little mention has been made so far about the production of
documentation, demos, and other things that would assist in evaluation
of the projects by the wider Blender community.  Many of the SOC wiki
pages are a really great start in this direction, but I was wondering
what, if any, guidelines there should be for this area as the completion
date approaches?

Thoughts, anyone? :-)

Jonathan Merritt.