[Soc-2005-dev] Evaluation of SOC projects for the main tree.

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Thu Aug 25 15:50:07 CEST 2005

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry I've taken so long to respond to this, but
the truth of the matter is that there hasn't
been a lot of thought put into the issues of
integration. I guess each case will be evaluated
separately. A few thoughts on this:

* A project may 'pay out' and be successful
in terms of completing the goals set out in the
proposal it is based on, but we still have the
right of not integrating the code into the
bf-blender tree if we find it to be unsuitable.
I certainly hope that all of the code from
the successful projects will be integrated
(and that the students wish to stick
around and support it), but we will have
to weigh costs and benefits.

* I don't think the soc tree should be viewed
as a long term code repository. In the short
term, I think it would be a good place for
code that is almost suitable for integration,
but maybe needs a little more work.

* I don't think going through tuhopuu is
a good idea: the soc branches make it
very easy for students to make patches for
bf-blender, but in tuhopuu it becomes way
more difficult. Merging is way easier too.

I think your comments about docs, demos is
valid, and I hope each student will spend
some of their remaining time on this.

Regards,
Chris