[Soc-2005-dev] The last few hurdles :)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Aug 18 19:28:41 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I've asked Google for references how to judge the students... it took a
week for them to reply, but they've confirmed what you'll find below.
:)

The 'good' news is that Google won't treat september 1 as extremely
strict deadline... Google expects everyone to be ready then, but when a
mentoring organization agrees with a student to finish a bit later, I
don't think they'll make issues.

Criteria for judging the projects;

1) Active cooperation with the open source project
- participating in the online services offered, mailing lists, forums,
irc, meetings
- communicating well about progress, and pro-active seeking help when
needed

2) Quality of delivered work
- clear work schedule and design docs
- good CVS logs and other provided information on progress
- complying code & integration quality standards as mentoring
organizations have defined
- meeting the requirements as described in original proposal
- actually; delivered working code!

3) Quantity of delivered work
- Spent sufficient time on integration efforts, not only on (existing)
own code work
- Spent at least 5 weeks "full time" (humble 40 hours/week) on this
project

The final review of students will be done by Chris & myself
(representing the BF) and the student's mentor.

This is of course open for discussion in this mailing list.
Nevertheless, looking at the cvs logs, I think a couple of students are
really in the danger zone...

Best regards,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org